Monday, November 12, 2012

Time After Time


Carrying on with the Nouvelle Époque theme I’ve so enjoyed, here’s a necklace I created using an Art Deco watch and a little backbone.

The watch was nothing more than a beautiful outdated time-keeping device. No good as a real ticker. So, I ditched the movement and replaced it with a dome paved in diamonds...clearly the sensible choice. Being on time is so overrated.
Next, the modern backdrop I add to vintage pieces to give them a bold look.  And here’s where the backbone I mentioned comes in. Somehow, a simple brushed gold round disk placed behind the watch seemed a bit boring. Always a fan of a little bling, I decided to spice things up. I will spare you the not-so-gentle convincing my bench jeweler needed when I told him we’d be setting tiny diamonds along the ENTIRE EDGE of the piece.
An added bonus is that the watch SWINGS along it's backdrop! And how fun is the super shiny, contemporary bale (FYI, that's the part the chain goes through) on this this piece? I have a feeling I'll be using that design detail again.

So there you have it. This old watch is new once again…giving me time, even after it’s time.

No comments:

Post a Comment